Monday 6 May 2013

Montessori: DIY Movable Alphabet

One of my Montessori wish list is to own the Movable Alphabet. Cost aside, i find it too impractical to have it. First, it is too bulky for my space constraint house. Second, it is too one-dimensional as in, other than using it for phonics/spelling, there's really not much use for it. And once the kid is done with it, it will morph into a white elephant. So i always hesitate to make the purchase.
 
The real reason why i don't buy it because it can be easily made. I try to refrain from making purchases that i can make my own. Here, i share my own, DIY Movable Alphabet. 

 
Just using simple software, i printed the alphabets, laminate and cut. I was over the moon when i saw this compartmental box being sold at a shop- it is just what i need to store my cards!

 
Here's how it looks on the inside.
 
 
I was very fortunate. I made the cards prior to buying the box. I was delighted when the cards fitted perfectly into each compartment- phew, that saves me from re-printing!

 
The Movable alphabet is largely used to teach the child phonics, reading and eventually spelling. If you are interested to know how it works, you can read more here.
 
As i shared with another blogger, somehow i get more sense of satisfaction when my kids learn through materials that are hand made by me versus purchased ones. I always love to make learning materials for my kids but sometimes buying makes more sense & saves me loads of time!
 
So there, i hope to reinforce that Montessori learning at home does not need to be expensive. Lots of it can be made, with a little creativity and some time!
 
Linking up to:

Montessori Monday

4 comments:

  1. I was looking for such a box too! Your set looks great! Did you manage to laminate everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I laminated first then cut it. :) you can get the box at those hardware shop at heartlands. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic and brilliant idea. Did you do it in PDF? Would you mind sharing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Please drop me an email homeschool(underscore)sg(at mark)yahoo(dot)com(dot)sg regarding this! :D

      Delete