Sunday 27 October 2013

Parts of a volcano- Montessori

We read up on volcanoes a couple of weeks back. Sonshine and I were rather fascinated with the new discoveries we made. I never read up on such things until now-sheesh, so I am learning along with my son too! Well, never too late to learn!
 
 
 
As a follow up, I printed these cards from here and display this activity on Sonshine's shelf. These are part of volcano cards.

 
There are two sets. One set is the master card and the other is for the child to match the label to the picture using the master cards as reference.
 
It's been a long while since I sat down with Sonshine to do an activity like this. It  reminded me so much of the time when I did this regularly with him when he was a toddler. I remember how he would absorbed and learnt everything at one go.
 
He did the same again this time, and I really wasn't expecting it. He suprised me by looking at the reference cards just once and was able to match all but two labels correctly. How in the world?
 
But anyway, my purpose is not for him to be an expert on volcanoes. I don't mind if he can't remember anything about it years down. I merely want to expose him to such knowledge; something that he may never find in his school textbooks. Great that he recalls but it's ok even if he doesn't. More importantly, he (and I) enjoyed what we learned through our readings together. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment